Reserve a Zipcar for trips near or far!
Zipcar is a car-share program that offers the convenience of car ownership without the hassles of having a car on campus.
There are eight vehicles available for use at NC State which are parked in designated spots around campus.
- Dan Allen Drive (Bragaw Carriageway): Two Zipcars
- Avent Ferry Complex: Three Zipcars
- ES King Village: One Zipcar
- Centennial Campus: Two Zipcars
These cars are available to students over 18 years of age, faculty and staff of the university to rent 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on a first-come, first-served basis. Visit the Zipcar FAQ page for additional information and requirements.
$35 membership fee (discounts are occasionally posted on the Zipcar page)
$8 per hour and $69 per day and includes gas, insurance and roadside assistance.
How to Drive a Zipcar!
How to Join
Signing up is easy!
In the "Join Now" box, select your affiliation with the University.
This will bring you to an information screen with details on membership benefits, cost and FAQ's. Here you can read the "membership requirements" to find out if you are eligible for Zipcar membership. If you meet all the requirements, click the "Join Zipcar" button at the bottom of the screen. You will need to fill out some basic information about yourself and pay the annual membership fee of $35 (new members will get this money back in driving credit.)
Zipcar will then take a day or two to review your application, and once you've been approved you will receive your "Zipcard" in the mail. This is your membership card and car key all wrapped into one! To activate your card, login to www.Zipcar.com/ncsu and click on "Reserve." Enter the 6-digit number found on the lower left corner of your Zipcard and click "Activate Zipcard."
Congratulations! You're now ready to start reserving Zipcars!
How to Drive a Zipcar
How to Reserve a Zipcar
- Once you've received and activated your Zipcard, log onto www.Zipcar.com/ncsu and click "Reserve."
- Enter your location and select the dates you would like to reserve. Click "Find Cars." You may view cars by time or location and you may reserve them minutes or months in advance.
- Select your car and reservation time. Click "Reserve." Confirm your reservation details, and your account will be billed automatically.
How to Unlock & Drive a Zipcar
- When your reservation time arrives, walk to the car you've reserved and hold your Zipcard up to the logo on the driver's side windshield. You will hear a beep and the car doors will unlock. Your Zipcard will only lock/unlock the car for the duration of your reservation, and likewise no other Zipcard will be able to lock/unlock the car during this time.
- When you enter the car you will find the car key tethered to the steering column. This key stays in the car at all times, so you will use your Zipcard to lock and unlock the car throughout your reservation (just hold it up to the windshield logo.)
- Start the car and drive away! If you have any questions there is a "Zipcar Co-Pilot" in the glove compartment to assist you. You can also call 1-866-4ZIPCAR if you have any trouble, anytime day or night.
- When you're done with your Zipcar, return it to the same reserved parking spot where you picked it up. Remove all of your belongings, and use your Zipcard to lock the car one final time. This will conclude your reservation.
- Make sure you return the car by the end of your reservation time to avoid late fees.
How to Gas UP
Fuel is on us! You'll find the gas card in the driver's sun visor. To fill up, you'll need to enter the vehicle's mileage (the odometer reading on the dash). You'll also need the first six digits of your Zipcard number. (For you long-time members who have Zipcard numbers that are less than six digits long, add zeros to the beginning to make six digits. Like this: Zipcard number 12345 becomes 012345.) Watch a short video on how to fill up below.
Always check your car details or the inside of the gas cap to ensure you add the correct fuel type. Mistakes can be expensive!
In some countries, the fuel card is in a different spot inside the car. Learn more about driving Zipcars in other countries.
Every member in good standing who follows the rules is covered by our insurance while driving a Zipcar.
Here are the highlights:
- Comprehensive collision coverage
- Liability coverage of $300,000 per accident (combined single limit) for members age 21+; for members under 21, at the level mandated by the automobile financial responsibility law of the jurisdiction in which the accident occurs.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP), or "no-fault" coverage, at the level mandated by the automobile financial responsibility law of the jurisdiction in which the accident occurs; however, any personal insurance coverage that the member may have would apply on a primary basis and our "no fault" coverage would be secondary.
- Members are responsible for a $750 damage fee per incident, which can be reduced or eliminated with an optional damage fee waiver.
For the full scoop on insurance, check out the member contract.