Walking through and around NC State
As an urban campus, NC State University is very walkable with short distances to off-campus locations such as shopping and restaurants, as well as between campus destinations. Many students and staff choose to walk to school or work, and/or combine walking with another alternative mode to get around campus.
the NC State Walk Times Map to help you plan ahead and time your next walk trip.
Visit Google Maps for walking directions to your next on or off-campus destination.
When walking, remember to consider personal and traffic safety at all times:
- When no sidewalk is available, walk facing traffic.
- Make eye contact with the driver before crossing the street.
- If a walk signal is available, press the walk button and wait for the “walk” indicator before crossing the street.
- Even if a walk signal is present, look both ways before crossing the street.
- Avoid using headphones or cellphones when interacting with traffic, and always remain alert to vehicles around you.
- Wear bright clothing at night so that drivers can see you.
- Use the buddy system at night for personal safety.
- Be especially aware of vehicles in parking lots as they may not be paying attention for pedestrian activity when backing inout of a parking space.
Walking for Fitness
Check out some of Raleigh's 70+ miles of greenway trails (including the Rocky Branch Creek trail on Main Campus) and NC State's growing trail system on Centennial for recreational walking and fitness.
Download the Capital Area Greenway Map
NC Pedestrian Laws
For more information about bicycle and pedestrian laws in North Carolina, visit www.ncdot.org/transit/bicycle