NC State University Logo-link to NCSU home page-opens in a new window
skip to main content Transportation














Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Jump to: Wolfline FAQs
Jump to: Appeals/Petitions FAQs

Parking Questions


Q: What are the hours of parking enforcement?

You need a parking permit from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except on Official University Holidays. Resident Parking Areas ("RE", "RW") are enforced from 7 a.m. to Midnight, Monday through Thursday and 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday. Reserved lots/spaces and "No Parking" areas are enforced 24 hours.

Q: Do visitors of NCSU need a parking permit?

Yes, individual visitors may purchase daily permits for $5 per day at the Visitor Information Centers (Main Campus - Stinson Drive, Centennial Campus - Varsity Drive), as well as the NCSU Transportation Office located at 2721 Sullivan Drive. Transportation Customer Service operates from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Visitors may also park at any metered space or pay lot. Pay lots are located on the first level of the Dan Allen Deck, in the Coliseum Deck and the two lower levels of the Partners Way Deck on Centennial Campus. View Pay Lot and Metered space fees

Q: What happens when I need to drive a different car to campus; how do I get a permit? (My car is in the shop, rental, etc.)

Permits are made of easily removable material (much like the sticker you receive from your mechanic when you get an oil change). If you forget to transfer your permit to the vehicle you are driving, come to the Transportation office at 2721 Sullivan Drive and ask for a temporary permit. (Faculty and staff should register all vehicles with Transportation.)

Q: Is it necessary to have a permit while I am unloading or loading items at my residence hall?

If you are loading or unloading your vehicle during parking enforcement hours you must display a valid loading/unloading permit which are available at the Transportation office or the Visitor Information Booths on main and Centennial Campuses. Unloading permits are valid for a designated time period at specificed spaces throughout campus or loading docks; never in AS, A#, SV, pay lots, "Accessible Parking" areas, "No Parking" zones, Reserved lots/spaces and metered spaces.

Q: When can I buy an NCSU parking permit?

An online academic year (August to August) student permit sale begins in early July. You must have a nine-digit student ID to complete your purchase.

Resident freshmen are eligible for an "RS" (resident storage) permit. This permit is a good option for resident students who need access to a vehicle occasionally or for trips home. Resident storage is located on Centennial Campus; and served by the Wolfline bus service.

Other commuter options are: free park and ride system and riding Wolfline, or purchasing a parking space from private, non-University affiliated Off-Campus Parking Vendors.

Employees can purchase a parking permit at any time. Transportation makes every effort to provide the closest available parking to the employee's work location. However, due to campus construction projects and space availability, employees may not receive the permit they request as their first choice.

Q: Is my car safe on campus?

Statistically, campus has relatively low crime - most crimes are "crimes of opportunity." Our parking lots are well lighted and campus is patrolled by our campus police. Reduce your risk by ALWAYS locking your vehicle. Secondly, don't leave any valuable items on the car seats (in plain sight) and if you must leave valuables in your vehicle, lock them in the trunk.

Q: What should I do if my parking permit is lost or stolen?

If your permit is stolen, report it to Campus Police and complete appropriate paperwork. Campus Police assigns a case number which you should immediately bring to Transportation Customer Service, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If your permit is lost, notify Transportation and come to Transportation Customer Service. There is a $10 charge for a replacement permit in both cases. All recovered lost/stolen permits must be returned to Transportation IMMEDIATELY. An individual who uses a permit that has been reported lost or stolen is subject to fines and loss of parking privileges.

Q: I have a North Carolina handicap placard. Do I need a parking permit to park in a handicapped space on campus?

Yes, vehicles parked in a handicapped/accessible space during enforcement hours must display a valid university permit. Mobility-impaired faculty, staff and students with a valid state-issued handicap placard do have to complete an application for a permit and submit a copy of their placard. Visit the Accessibility Parking Page for accessibility policies, procedures and more.

Q: What should I do if my automobile breaks down on campus?

Move your vehicle to the nearest unreserved parking space. Report the vehicle immediately to Campus Police (515-3333) and Transportation (515-2210). Inoperable vehicles left unattended or standing in driveways, driving lines, tow lanes, "No Parking" areas or Reserved spaces are subject to being fined and towed. The owner is responsible for removing the vehicle within the time required by Transportation.

Q: How do I pay a parking ticket?

Payment of violations may be made ONLINE, in person at the Transportation office, or through the mail. Payment options are as follows: check, money order, all campus card, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express and debit card. All cash transactions MUST be made in person at the Transportation Customer Service. Checks and money orders should be made out to NC State. Returned checks will be charged a $25 service fee.

Q: How do I dispute (appeal) a parking ticket?

All petitions must be filed by submitting an online Appeal Form. Make sure you submit any supporting documentation, i.e., diagrams, permits, etc., including your name and citation number to the Transportation Office. If you do not have access to a computer, one is available for your use from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, in Transportation's reception area, Administrative Services I at 2721 Sullivan Drive.

Petitions must be received within 14 calendar days of the violation date. Petitions exceeding this time will not be reviewed. If you choose to appeal a denied petition, then you must do so (IN WRITING) within 14 days of the initial ruling. Full payment is required to appeal a ticket. Attendance at the appeal hearing is not mandatory, but is recommended. The decision of the Appeals Hearing Board is final; there is no further process available.

Q: What are the transportation alternatives I can use if I am unable or ineligible to receive a parking permit?

Ride Wolfline - our campus bus system. During Fall and Spring semesters Wolfline serves two Park and Ride locations: Westgrove lot just north of Western Boulevard at Blue Ridge Road and Westgrove Street, and Carter-Finley Stadium. The Wolfline serves Main Campus, Vet School, Centennial Campus, E.S. King Village, Avent Ferry Road, Gorman Street and Fraternity Court. The eleven daytime routes (most extended until 10 p.m.) and evening routes operate frequently - depending on the time of day or evening. Wolfline operates on a modified schedule with reduced frequency during the summer.

NCSU offers Carpooling and Vanpooling services. Employee Car/Vanpoolers receive discounted rates and additional bonuses like emergency ride home assistance and free drive-day passes. Visit WolfTrails to learn more about these programs.

Q: What should I do if I leave something on the "Wolfline?"

If you have lost or left an item on the "Wolfline" please call:
(919) 861-6960.

Q: Can I park in the park and ride lots overnight?

No, park and ride lots are not for storing automobiles.

Q: Do I need a permit for my bicycle?

No, however, we encourage you to register your bicycle. This will enable us to contact you if your bike is stolen and recovered. Bikes can be Registered for free Online. Registering your bike also helps us to plan adequate bicycle facilities. For added security, Campus Police can also engrave your driver’s license number on your bike.

Jump to: Wolfline FAQs
Jump to: Appeals/Petitions FAQs